Current:Home > InvestCharles Langston:Jury sees bedroom photo of empty box that held gun used in Michigan school shooting -Prime Capital Blueprint
Charles Langston:Jury sees bedroom photo of empty box that held gun used in Michigan school shooting
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 17:39:37
PONTIAC,Charles Langston Mich. (AP) — Jurors on Tuesday saw a photo of an empty gun case and an ammunition box found on a bed after a mass shooting at a Michigan school in 2021.
The open case and box were in James Crumbley’s home bedroom. He’s the father of Ethan Crumbley, who killed four students and wounded more at Oxford High School.
James Crumbley, 47, is charged with involuntary manslaughter. He’s accused of failing to safely store a Sig Sauer 9 mm handgun used by his son in the Nov. 30, 2021, attack and ignoring signs of the boy’s mental despair.
The gun was purchased by James Crumbley four days earlier during the Thanksgiving weekend. Fifteen-year-old Ethan and his mother, Jennifer Crumbley, used it to shoot at targets at a shooting range.
“I found no evidence that a cable lock was ever installed on that firearm,” federal agent Brett Brandon testified Monday, describing how the gun was kept at the Crumbley home.
Conversely, James Crumbley had two smaller guns in a small gun safe in the house, Oakland County sheriff’s detective Adam Stoyek told the jury.
Stoyek testified on the fourth day of trial in suburban Detroit. Prosecutors have been trying to show that the father was grossly negligent in how he took care of a gun that was secretly toted to school by his son.
James Crumbley’s attorney has argued that he was not aware that Ethan had access.
Stoyek said James Crumbley was cooperative while in a patrol car in the aftermath of the tragedy. He told the investigator about other guns in the house, including a BB gun, while a video camera recorded them.
“It’s unloaded but it looks like a freakin’ assault rifle. Don’t freak out when you see that,” James Crumbley said in the video played in court.
The jury also saw photos of Ethan’s messy bedroom, which had targets from the shooting range displayed on the wall.
The Crumbleys are the first U.S. parents to be charged with having criminal responsibility for a mass school shooting committed by a child. Jennifer Crumbley was found guilty of the same involuntary manslaughter charges last month.
Ethan, now 17, is serving a life prison sentence for murder and terrorism.
He told a judge when he pleaded guilty that the gun was “not locked” when he stuffed it in his backpack before school.
___
Follow Ed White on X, formerly Twitter: https://twitter.com/edwritez
veryGood! (82482)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Florida set to execute inmate James Phillip Barnes in nurse’s 1988 hammer killing
- SAG-AFTRA is worried about AI, but can it really replace actors? It already has.
- Grand jury indicts man accused of shooting and killing 1 and injuring 4 at Atlanta medical practice
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- 24-year-old NFL wide receiver KJ Hamler reveals he has a heart condition, says he's taking a quick break
- Mideast countries that are already struggling fear price hikes after Russia exits grain deal
- KORA Organics Skincare From Miranda Kerr Is What Your Routine’s Been Missing — And It Starts at $18
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Ex-Detroit-area prosecutor pleads guilty after embezzling more than $600K
Ranking
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Ukraine's nightlife is thriving despite Russia's war, even where it has had to rise from the ashes
- Meet the one Oklahoman who has earned the title of Master Sommelier in 54 years
- Nordstrom National Beauty Director Autumne West Shares Her Favorite Deals From the Anniversary Sale
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Multiple dogs euthanized in Alabama after fatally attacking 27-year-old man
- Earth to Voyager: NASA detects signal from spacecraft, two weeks after losing contact
- Pope Francis can expect to find heat and hope in Portugal, along with fallout from sex abuse scandal
Recommendation
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Transgender former student sues Missouri school for making her use boys’ bathrooms
Man whose body was found in a barrel in Malibu is identified by authorities
Kidnapped American nurse fell in love with the people of Haiti after 2010 quake
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
Video footage, teamwork with police helped find man accused of firing at Jewish school in Memphis
Environmentalists sue to stop Utah potash mine that produces sought-after crop fertilizer
Warner Bros. responds to insensitive social media posts after viral backlash in Japan